Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Choosing to be happy in the midst of imperfection

A friend posted this quote on facebook the other day...

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.

... funny how I've been thinking a lot lately about how much happier I am with life. Even though there are things in my life happening right now that make me sad and are difficult on a day to day basis, I feel happy!

I've learned an interesting lesson in the last several months about happiness. It all comes down to a choice we make. We choose our reactions to life. We can't make decisions for others, we don't get to choose our trials in life, and frankly sometimes we are dealt hard blows that we aren't sure we'll live through. Finding that strength to be happy in the midst of an imperfect life is a talent worth seeking. I've never been good at it, really.

Until now, that is. I can remember the day not long ago when I felt that I was confronted face to face with that choice. With clarity I could see that by choosing to be happy, I would experience LESS pain in an already painful situation. Could it be that easy? Yes, it was. A simple choice that I made, backed up by a whole lot of work, effort and prayer to make it happen.

It's strange to look back on that experience now. I see God's hand in it; it does seem like a super-human ability. And yet it's continued to be clear and "easy" - because it's working!! Choosing to be happy = feeling happy = BEING happy... even in the midst of imperfection.

1 comment: