Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chickpea & Pistachio Salad


In my most recent efforts to eat healthier I am trying to eat more natural foods and increase my protein. The protein is a big deal for me because I am a vegetarian, so I have to watch my numbers to make sure I am getting enough...

This was simple to prepare, a delicious light, fresh-tasting salad! I love lemons though. I did not add all of the salt and I substituted white rice because I had a lot leftover from dinner the night before. I think I would prefer the brown rice, but then again I really like both.

I have no idea WHERE this recipe originated. It was scribbled down on a piece of notebook paper in my handwriting. I most likely copied it from a magazine I found in a doctors' office. That would be typical... enjoy!

Chickpea & Pistachio Salad

I Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 of a whole red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. water
2 c. cooked long grain brown rice
1/2 c. cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/4 c. shelled pistachios
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
1 whole lemon (you'll use the zest & the juice)
2 pinches salt

Saute' onion and garlic in the olive oil for 3-5 minutes. Add water and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add cooked rice and chickpeas, heat through. Remove from heat and add the pistachios and parsley. Stir in lemon zest and the lemon juice. Stir. Taste and add salt, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment