Monday, June 6, 2011

Grilled Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas

I tried a new recipe tonight. It was a winner! I didn't just like it... it was SO VERY GOOD!! I wish I knew what magazine I clipped it from. Like most recipes I use, I made some minor adjustments. If you try it out let me know what you think!




Grilled Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas

1/2 c. chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp. ground cumin
4 10-inch flour tortillas (* I used 8)
1 large sweet potato (*I used a yam)
2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces) (* or more)
1 1/2 cups tightly packed fresh baby spinach
1 cup salsa
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
guacamole (optional)
sour cream (optional)

1. Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1/2-inch pieces. Cover with water and boil until fork-tender.

2. In a large skillet, saute' onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender. Stir in black beans, corn, lime juice, oregano, and cumin; heat through. Add spinach and 2 Tbsp. water. Saute' another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Butter one side of a tortilla and place on a grill or a grill pan. Sprinkle with cheese, place approximately 1/2 cup of the sweet potato mixture onto one half of the tortilla. When cheese begins to melt fold over the tortilla. Grill until the tortilla is a nice golden brown and crispy.

4. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment