Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Storytime Fun

Jared and I have read two books together recently. I LOVE that special time of reading out loud to him. Even though he's plenty big enough to read on his own, I enjoy sharing the adventures and spending the quiet moments with him.

I love Jared's sense of humor and that he dislikes cliff-hangers. It usually takes some convincing to begin a particular book, but once a few chapters in he is hooked and is often begging for longer reading sessions.

Caitlin is my bookworm. She has loved books from the beginning. She used to stack them so high in her doll buggy that they toppled over. She'd push them from room to room. Her prized possessions. She'd also line them up in rows, filling the family room floor with books. When it was reading time (an all day, off and on again event), I would tell her to pick a book and she'd pick ten.

Jared, is fussy. He judges books by their covers and nothing ever sounds worthy of his time. Usually I insist on a particular book, and he doesn't get excited about it until we are several pages in. SIGH.

Wednesday I took him to the library and he selected non-fiction books about animals. He taught me everything I'd want to know about penguins, LOL! I browsed the children's section of the library... looking at the picture books and remembering the fun I had reading those to the kids. I miss reading them their favorite stories. Caitlin's favorite was Dr. Seuss' ABC's. In fact she wore out her first copy and I had to buy another one because her book would fall apart when you opened it. I would read that book in a fun sing-song voice. She learned he letters before age 2 and she could read at age 3- 1/2. Jared, liked Brown Bear, Brown Bear (What do you see?). I had my favorites too. I'll have to make a separate post about them, there are too many.

Although Jared is plenty big enough and capable of reading on his own, I'm so glad I can still share this special time with him. Last night I was looking at his long big feet and thinking how much longer can it last? I'm totally going to take advantage of this summer and read lots more with him.

Our latest reads include:

Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan

Ranger's Apprentice is a fun filled adventure with action, humor, and mystery. It has cliff-hanging moments and characters that are realistically imperfect, but lovable. We are planning to start book 2 of this series tonight. (I believe that there are nine books in the series).


Room One by Andrew Clements

Room One is an entertaining read about a boy who loves playing detective. It is a great story that supports the importance of the character traits of honesty, trustworthy, compassion, kindness and responsibility. Good stuff.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment