Friday, December 11, 2009

A domestic accomplishment

Now, to some this might sound silly but, cooking meat is not really my thing. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've been a vegetarian since age twelve. I don't mind cooking meat for the family but, frankly it's just been a domestic skill that has been improving over the past 13 1/2 years and I'm still learning. My husband used to need a saw to get through dinner. Today we used the regular old butter knife!

Domestic Accomplishment: Top Round London Broil

Cooked the way my husband likes it... others might like it just a bit more pink.





What I've learned about this particular cut of meat (thanks to several instructions I read on the internet)....
  1. It's best when broiled on HIGH with the oven door left slightly ajar. Some say this left their homes a bit smoky... didn't happen here, not even a little bit.
  2. Some believe scoring the meat or piercing it all over with a fork helps to tenderize it a bit
  3. You can use marinade but, a few opinions said it does nothing to tenderize the meat, it only enhances flavor. I went with a dry rub (Montreal Steak Seasoning) - because that is what I had handy. Plus: last minute dinner= no time for marinades.
  4. Use a meat thermometer and test for doneness. Watch closely, it cooks up quickly!

I am feeling a bit more confident that I will not totally ruin the "Roast Beef" come Christmas dinner. My Mother-in-Law will be here... she probably has it mastered. Her expertise and my small domestic accomplishment of cooking this less expensive cut of beef might mean even the Grinch will like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment