Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spicy Pine Nut Pasta


There are certain things that I am "forbidden" to eat while the kids are at school. And NO, it's not bon bons.

You see, they have their favorite foods and IF it is discovered that I did eat those favorite foods without them I hear a few disappointing whines. Of course, they always figure it out, especially my daughter who has the nose of a blood hound. It doesn't look like a blood hound's nose, just works like one. (I had to clarify that, just in case she reads this).

Of course, if you know me then you also know I don't really let my kids dictate what I eat for lunch so, I made something yummy today... it is my favorite pasta dish. It's my own recipe, which just means I made it up. It is also one of my daughter's favorite meals.


Spicy Pine Nut Pasta

1/2 cup shelled pine nuts
1 tsp. olive oil
2 1/2 cups medium shell pasta (that is approximately half of a 1 lb. box)
4 1/2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes (the amount you would use to make 1 cup of broth each)
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped finely or pressed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can of Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes
ground cayenne pepper
black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste (I don't add any extra)

In a small skillet over low heat toast the pine nuts in the olive oil until they just begin to turn a light brown. Set aside.


In a medium saute' pan bring the water and one bouillon cube to a boil. Add pasta and cook 7-8 minutes until al dente. Drain pasta, rinse with hot water, and set aside. In the same saucepan heat up 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, add garlic cloves and over medium heat saute' for a minute to soften. Add the canned tomatoes, the remaining bouillon cube, 2 dashes of ground cayenne pepper, and 2 dashes of black pepper. Simmer over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until the bouillon cube is dissolved. Add pasta and pine nuts; gently stir the pasta mixture. Serve with crusty, warm bread.

My daughter took one step inside the front door and asked, "Did you save me any?"

No comments:

Post a Comment