Wednesday, October 7, 2009

3 Can Creole Dinner

This recipe was actually created by me, accidentally. A few years back I had a kielbasa that needed used, so I decided to pair it up with my husbands favorite (black beans) and throw in whatever spice. Only I wasn't paying too much attention to cooking, because I accidentally opened up a can of green beans instead. Not to waste, I added the green beans anyhow and later a can of stewed tomatoes because I thought it was dry. The result of that accident is quite amazing ((BLUSH)). I hope you enjoy it! Our son won't even taste it (he doesn't like his foods mixed together) but, it is in the top three favorite dinners for the rest of us! Sorry for the awful photo. Too late to take another, that stuff is LONG gone!

FRUGAL TIP: Not factoring in the seasoning or the white rice (which is an on-hand staple for us) this meal cost $4.57. Watch for the kielbasa to go on sale, here they are 2/$5.00 . The canned food frequently goes on sale too (I could have got a better deal on those had I stocked up during earlier sales).




3 Can Creole Dinner

1 smoked beef or turkey keilbasa, cut into 1/2" slices.
1/2 large onion, chopped (or one small onion)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes (PLAIN: not the Italian or Mexican seasoned)
1 can (14.5 oz.) cut green beans, drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. - 1 1/2 tsp. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
cooked brown or white rice

Brown keilbasa and onion in the oil. Drain off fat in a colander, return keilbasa and onions to the pan. Add stewed tomatoes, green beans and black beans. Add creole seasoning to taste, I recommend starting out with the smaller amount and going up from there, especially if your serving the kids! Serve over a bed of rice.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I love black beans! I will post a recipe for black bean and corn salsa that I love on my blog. I might have to try your recipe - even though Riley wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole LOL. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete